Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Back in the High Life Again



Now I know what Steve Winwood was talking about. The Texans are back in the win column after an old-fashioned-ugly-stick-beat-down versus the Browns on Sunday. I was not able to watch the game due to regional coverage issues (fuck you Time Warner Cable), but looking at that 16-6 final score from Browns Stadium I can tell that it wasn't pretty. Nevertheless, I'll take a win any way I can get it, ESPECIALLY on the road!

We're beating teams that we should be beating as evidence by our opponents' combined record in wins of 11-27-1. At least we don't give games away to inferior teams. Let's be honest, Texans fans. The Texans have one of the more brutal schedules in the NFL. Yes we lost close ones and gave a few away, but if I told you I saw 10 wins on that schedule before the season started I would have been lying. The combined record of our opponents in loses is 49-28! What does this tell me? We're not there yet. However, I don't think we're that far away.

It usually seems that by Week 12 we're already guaranteed a losing record. However, that is not the case this year. At 4-7 there is still a slim chance that we can bring our record to .500 by season's end.

We face the Jags this Monday night, and this time around I like our chances. The Jags are 1-4 in there last 5 games including giving up the Bengals' only win of the season as well as losing to the Cleveland Browns. Their only victory in that time period has come against winless Detroit. In their 30-12 loss to Minnesota on Sunday the Jags only managed 35 total yards rushing and committed 5 turnovers. If they bring that shit to Reliant then they're in for a big surprise. After an inspired defensive performance in the midst of widespread ridicule, I look for the Texans D to play their hearts out under the lights on Battle Red Day. Remember what happened last time Mario played in prime time wearing red?

More to come on the Jags game, but for now I'm enjoying this victory. We might not be playing for very much, but in the eyes of a true Texans' fan, there's always next year. Any win is a big win for our franchise. This last one was especially sweet for me. I get an extra day this time around to enjoy a Texans victory and then it's on to Houston for our first Monday night game ever. Can you tell I'm excited?
Cliche of the week: "Big players make Big plays in Big games."

No comments: