Saturday, November 1, 2008

The glass is half-full and filling up quick

I've been thinking about the game all week, and BOY am I confident!!! Despite the fact that their are still those who take the glass half-empty approach to Texans fandom, this team makes it easy for me believe that we are in the midst of something special. Don't get me wrong, road games have proven to be the nemesis of the Texans, but with the way we've been playing I have rationalized a victory for the Texans in this way:

First and foremost, we're healthy. Ahman Green is a game-time decision (surprise surprise), but the rest of the team is fit a whistle going into this week's matchup with the Vikes. Talk about unchartered territory for us!

The important thing is for us to remain healthy through this game! If I have any concerns, it's for the safety of Matt Schaub. We all know about the potency of the Vikings' D line. The matchup between Jared Allen and Duane Brown/Ephraim Salaam scares me to tell you the truth. Minnesota's stout D tackle tandem of Williams and Williams demands enough attention. Some way, some how, we need to neutralize that threat. Look for the Texans to use the screen pass often on Sunday. Slaton will be a factor in the passing game this week, no doubt. If we keep Schaub standing up, then we will move the chains all day long.

We will need to execute on 1st and 2nd down to to maintain our league-leading 3rd down conversion rate. I don't expect a huge day for us on the ground, so watch out for a high percentage of passing plays on 1st down. The short to intermediate passing game should serve as our running game this week.

I also can't tell you how important Andre, the AFC offensive player of the month, will be for us this week. I'm sending him a gift certificate for a shiatsu massage because he is going to be SORE on Monday. Nevertheless, we need Andre to run all over the field this week to effectively move the ball and win the time of possession battle. Against Minnesota's suspect secondary, I don't see this becoming a problem. Just for fun, can we go deep to 'Dre? Please? Just once?

The key to the game will be our defensive front four versus Minnesota's girthy offensive line. The name of the game for the defense is simple: contain Adrian Peterson! Easier said than done, I know, but I think we can allow him to top 100 yards and still win. It will be critical, however, to keep him out of the end zone and dare Gus Frerotte to beat us. It is worth noting that we have held our last four opponents under 100 yards rushing, so hats off the front seven. AD poses a huge challenge for Mario and Co, but don't be surprised to see the D step up. Seriously.

Call me crazy, but I have faith in our defense. I could also see a scenario where we have a little trouble moving the ball. In this case, field position will be critical. Luckily for us we hold the advantage in the special teams department. Jacoby Jones, carrying a 14.7 yard average on punt returns, is making a case for a free trip to Hawaii. Working with a short field will be a big boost for the Texans offense. Against a Vikings special teams unit who looked more like the Fresno State Bulldogs against Reggie Bush, Jacoby should be licking his chops!

Call me a homer, call me optimistic, but I feel a win coming. A tough road game against a stout opponent in a hostile environment, this matchup will prove to be a litmus test for the direction in which the Texans will go this season. If the Texans are to reach .500 after an abysmal start, it will be because of the special cast of leaders on a special team. Do you believe in miracles? I do. The future is here and now. I know it, Kubiak knows it, the players know it and it is time for Schaub, Mario, 'Dre, and Co to seize the opportunity. Texans 27-20.

No comments: